Identity thieves have more access than ever to your personal information. They will go through your trash and pretend to work for big companies and call or e-mail you to retrieve your personal information.
Here are some ways to protect yourself.
- You are entitled to receive 3 free credit reports a year, 1 from each of the credit reporting companies.
- Request one every four months to keep yourself up to date on what is being reported about you.
- Use www.annualcreditreport.com to access all 3 credit reporting companies in one place.
2. Do Not Share Personal Information
- Avoid callers who pretend to be someone else to gain information from you.
- Unless you initiate a phone call, e-mail or web submission, do not give out your information.
- Garden State FCU will not call or e-mail you to ask for your personal information.
3. Keep Personal Items in a Safe Place
- Store Social Security cards, birth certificates and other important paperwork in a lock-box.
- Statements, bills and credit card offers should be shredded or stored safely to ensure your account numbers aren’t stolen from the paperwork.